Birdies, beasties and hedgerow bounty!

First big day trip of the hols and we made for one of our favourite birding places (Cley Marshes and Visitor Centre - worth a visit just to play with their remote control camera!) to see something special...
Off along the boardwalk to the hides... my goodness things have changed since I began coming here as a teenager - a quarter century and now you can get close to the birds with not a spec of mud touching your boots!
But the views are as stunning as ever and we feel so lucky that the beautiful boy is as happy as us to quietly sit and watch what nature has to offer.
I caught this flight of geese but completely failed to photograph a large group of Spoonbill! The largest group to visit the marsh since 1940, and there's a fine picture here. The boy was distinctly underwhelmed! He prefers the Egyptian Geese.
Off around the coast to where daddy spent many of his schoolboy summers. Rockpool dancing at West Runton, one of those activities where, love 'em or hate 'em, Crocs are the best footwear for the job!
And today a fantastic day of frisbee, ball games and dodging showers back at Castle Acre and some bug hunting and plant shopping at the beautiful West Acre gardens.

and a wonderful hedgerow discovery... nothing exciting here?
Oh yes there was! 1.5 kilos of beautiful sweet Wild Gooseberries! Lucky day! Chutney or Curd? Curd or Chutney? Oh such tricky decisions to look forward to later this week!
I've even had time for a little owl play. I finally finished a couple of Rosys. One is in my store but I'm also building up my stock ready for the Little Vintage Lover fair at Heydon on August 2nd! I'm really looking forward to a lovely day out!
And I've been playing with our new owl designs... but too late at night to get any good pictures!
Another day out tomorrow - more birds, more beasts... and no doubt more picnics in the rain! Don't you just love British Summertime! t.x

Comments

Flower Girl said…
Oh yes, we've had many a picnic in the rain...happy memories though! In Britain we just have to 'Keep Calm and Carry On' despite the weather, don't we! Rebecca x
Bobo Bun said…
I know those shoes from somewhere?
Pinky owl looks a great combination.

It looks good busy doin' what you want. Two more days of nagging to get tired Buns to school left. Then aaaahhhh and will there be fighting I wonder?

Lisa x
Anonymous said…
Beautiful photos of your outing. And I *love* the owl!
KC'sCourt! said…
What a lovely day!
Love the Owl
Kate said…
Looks great fun! Norfolk has such lovely places to visit. Love the owl x
Fabulous, interesting mixed post! What a lovely young man. Now, re Crocs: I am going to have to have mine surgically removed at some point soon..... love em. x
bex said…
looks like an awesome day off
x
pinkfairygran said…
It's so interesting to me, reading someone else's views and thoughts on places I know.. but I missed those wild goosegogs!!!
MelMel said…
I really enjoyed that walk with you, such a pretty place!
The Owl is so cute!xx
Sal said…
You are lucky to live in such a fabulous area. I've spent a few holidays near Cley and also West Runton. I loved it.
It is so different from Devon but just as beautiful.
Hope you enjoy the rest of the hols!
Love the owl too! ;-)
They are the best!

Beautiful pictures -

Nina x
The Curious Cat said…
Love the rockpool photo - looks like you are having a lovely time! Norfolk is beautiful!
Floss said…
What a lot of lovely things you've been doing. I identify with the frisbee moment - we've been trying to perfect our family technique for a few evenings in a row now!

I'm probably a bit late in congratulating you on your newlook background and details, but it's all fantastic!
A time to dance said…
Hi sweetie, remember me...I have been sooooooooooo busy at work I have neglected all my blogging...I have felt physically battered I have been so tired....but the good news is that I am finally coming up for air...I may even manage a catch up post...and I have lots of wonderful knitting projects and super books to read this summer...hope you are well...I have missed eveyone...those owls look lovely all seeing and very very wise....
Anonymous said…
Norfolk looks lovely, can't wait for a visit in a few weeks and some fossil finds at West Runton. Owls look great too !
Pomona said…
The owl is really sweet - and I have just taken a photo of the same butterfly and was about to blog about it! - I think it's a Painted Lady?

Pomona x
Penny said…
Lovely to read what you've been doing, and thanks for the links to the websites. It give dh and me inspiration for our own days out in norfolk!